BIOGRAPHY, GENEALOGY and HISTORY
- Gale in Context: Biography – A comprehensive resource for biographical information on individuals from antiquity to present day. Search by name, occupation, nationality and place of birth or death.
- Ancestry.com – Diverse index comprised of census data, vital records, directories, photos etc. from North America, the UK, Europe, Australia and more. NOTE: This database is available at BML only.
- Ancestry.com (Temporary Remote Access)
- HeritageQuest Online (ProQuest) – A treasury of American genealogical sources from primary sources to local and family histories.
- Niche Academy – This online platform features short video tutorials that can be used as a teaching tool for both patrons and staff.
- Gale in Context: U.S. History – Reference works, millions of news and periodical articles, and more than 5,000 rare and vital primary source documents.
- Gale in Context: World History – Rare primary sources, reliable reference and multi-media content put this vast topic into context for students.
- Sanborn Maps – Delivers detailed property and landuse records that depict how a town/city has changed overtime.
|At BML||At Home|
- The Holocaust: A Learning Site For Students – A living memorial to the Holocaust, the United States Holocaust Memorial Museum inspires citizens and leaders worldwide to confront hatred, prevent genocide, and promote human dignity.
- YIVO Encyclopedia of Jews in Eastern Europe– This encyclopedia provides the most complete picture of the history and culture of Jews in Eastern Europe from the beginnings of their settlement in the region to the present.
- Long Island History on the World Wide Web – SUNY Stonybrook
- Famous Long Island – From DiscoverLongIsland.com
- Nassau County Government Website
NEW YORK CITY
- New York Historical Society – Founded in 1804, New-York Historical Society has a mission to explore the richly layered political, cultural and social history of New York City and State and the nation, and to serve as a national forum for the discussion of issues surrounding the making and meaning of history.
- Gotham Center For New York City History – The Gotham Center’s mission is to examine and explore the city’s rich history, and to make it more accessible to citizens and scholars, teachers and students, locals and out-of-towners.
- Museum of the City of New York – The museum’s collections include costumes and textiles, decorative arts, paintings and sculpture, theatre, toys and over 1.5 million images.
- New York City Department of Records – Over 870,000 images online within the New York City Municipal Archives.
NEW YORK STATE
- New York Heritage – Research portal on the Empire State.